Customising a piano

A E eve_ane at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 10:21:18 MDT 2008

Ive used the lube for guns for years now and it worked only marvels in my piano, its only thing that keeps it functioning comfortably...

Alicia

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:50:14 -0500From: formsma at gmail.comTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: Re: Customising a piano
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:32 PM, A E <eve_ane at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

As i said i put a set of hammers in that belongs in an imperial Bosey, after oiling it became lighter and more responcive, ill send u details with what oil i used if you like (give me a day or two to find the old bottle).
I bet you will have worse problems down the road.  There are piano-specific lubricants available from the supply houses.  Or you can make your own from naptha and silicone.  Or use an alcohol and water mixture to properly size the bushings.  Indiscriminate use of oils without knowledge of their effects has already made its course in piano service. (E.g., WD-40.)  You don't want to cause damage that will require expensive repair.-- JF