perfect pitch defined/Hughes Reply

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 2 17:29:58 MDT 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Skolnik
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 1:54 PM
  Subject: RE: perfect pitch defined/Hughes Reply

  David -
  This could get complicated, as there is yet another David who has already posted on this topic, but I'll brave it. I share David Hughe's appreciation for you lucid post and would be quite interested in additional information about the study you mention. While the nomenclature might indeed be imperfect, it tends to get us into the ballpark, wherein the specifics are still being debated.  On the other hand, now that we've pretty much settled on RPT (for now), maybe we do need a new object of our semantic tensions.

  There is another recognized expert on this (and many other) aspects of the psychology of sound who is at UCSD named Diana Deutsch.   http://deutsch.ucsd.edu/    There are numerous articles she has written on the subject, the most recent of which seems to be the one written in 2006 in Acoustics Today.

  Regards -
  David Skolnik
  Hastings on Hudson, NY