Customising a piano

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jul 2 16:44:07 MDT 2008

"While i was as it i lubricated center pins and front rail pins with some
oil for guns... yes for guns :-)... and i was astonished and what a
diference this experiment made....
Now my question is, is making such experiments ok? "

I'm struggling with this.  By "center pins" do you mean the ACTION center
pins?  You REALLY lubricated them with oil? How much? How did you apply it?
What made you decide to do it? What exactly was the difference it made? And
the same questions for the front rail pins.

Is it OK to carry out such experiments?  On your own piano, yes. You could
try setting your own piano on fire as an experiment too, if you like. Who's
to complain?  But it's not OK on a customer's piano, I think.

Best,

David.