Violin wood

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 16:18:34 MDT 2008

 Another "new" discovery.

http://www.plosone.org/doi/pone.0002554

Is it Stradivarius or Bush and Lane?

-----Original Message-----
From: Delwin D Fandrich <fandrich at pianobuilders.com>
To: 'Pianotech List' <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 4:39 pm
Subject: RE: Violin wood

We once rebuilt (and redesigned) a Bush & Lane grand leaving off all references
to the original manufacturers name. For a long time I refused to tell anyone who
had originally built the piano. I was not surprised -- read "suspicions
confirmed" -- at how many technicians and musicians were unwilling to give an
opinion of the piano's performance without knowing the brand name.

For a while I had fun telling folks it had started life as a Kimball. Many were
still unwilling to make a commitment -- they wanted to like it but it was, after
all, a Kimball. And we all know it's not permitted to actually "like" a Kimball
grand. Then for a while I fessed up and told folks it started life as a Bush &
Lane. Now, suddenly, everybody liked the piano. Same piano, of course, just a
different name

It was ultimately sold to a piano teacher who didn't care what the brand name
was -- she was enchanted by the way the piano played, sounded and looked. My
kind of customer.

ddf