perfect pitch defined

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 09:43:37 MDT 2008

This whole thing of relative versus perfect pitch is getting a bit
convoluted.  Now we even have some using the term "relative perfect pitch"
(a bit of an oxymoron).  As someone pointed out, perfect pitch simply refers
to pitch memory, like the ability to identify a color, one who possesses
"perfect" or "absolute" pitch can identify a pitch when heard in isolation.
There appears to be a strong genetic component for this ability but it seems
to also have a critical period for development (like certain language
skills).  Claims that you can teach yourself "perfect pitch" are bogus.  The
accuracy of so called perfect pitch is another matter.  A person who has
this ability generally can't identify or hear the difference between A440
and A339 or A442 for that matter.  They simply hear the three notes as an A.
Those who are musicians (and not all those who possess this ability are)
might very well have a strong sense of flat or sharp based on their own
intimate sense of their instrument.  Many violinists, for example, can hear
differences within their own instrument if it is tuned slightly sharp or
slightly flat.  One assumes that the subtle difference in the quality of
sound at different tension levels accounts for that.  Woodwind players can
often hear the difference as well and in both cases having perfect pitch
doesn't seem to be a prerequisite.  I doubt whether they could tell you
exact cents deviations.  Pianists, in my experience don't experience
differences in tuning the same way.   There is an ongoing study at UCSF
(University of California San Francisco Medical School) on this very subject
(perfect pitch, absolute pitch, pitch memory--however you choose to call it)
with extensive testing done on these individuals who have it and who claim
to have it.  I know the scientist in charge of the study and have had many
lengthy conversations about her findings.  It's really quite interesting
should anyone wish to look into it.  I don't know how much of the study is
actually published.

Relative pitch, on the other hand, is a learned skill and refers to the
ability to identify any particular note after being given a reference note.
Most well trained musicians have relative pitch, or should.

The term "relative perfect pitch" makes no sense in this context.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com