Wives tales ... violin tuning

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Jul 1 08:58:40 MDT 2008

So, if there's no such thing as "perfect" perhaps we should lobby for its
removal from Webster's.

Of course, that would probably lead to total chaos in the dictionary
industry, inasmuch as all words are human invention. There is no such thing
as a "Tiger". It's just a noise that we make to refer to a big stripey cat.

That said, here's a decent wikipedia entry that discusses perfect pitch /
absolute pitch. Perhaps I missed an earlier link. If so, apologies for the
duplication.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

BTW, I have seen two classroom instructors correctly state and agree that an
interval was off by .1 (that's point one) cent. Their observation was aural,
verified by a highly-respected (by most) ETD.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN