Interesting Service Call

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 18:15:32 MST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 1:59 PM, Marcel Carey <mcpianos at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Could it have been a dampp chaser wire buzzing on one or two bass strings?
> Maybe the customer opened the bottom panel to show her husband the system
> and when they closed it back some part of the system interfered with the
> strings?
>
> Marcel Carey
> ________________________________
> >
> > I had a call from a customer regarding her Baldwin spinet, perhaps it's
> an Acrosonic by Baldwin  I get them confused! Anyway she said the octave
> below middle C was making some noises, not all of the notes just some. I had
> been there a week or so before Christmas and tuned it after installing a
> dehumidifing system about 3 weeks prior. Their house is humid 365 days a
> year they run a dehumidifier in the basement year round and the RH still
> runs 40% or higher most of the time on the coldest days. Yesterday it was 1
> degree and it was 44%. We are in Southwestern Wisconsin and have been having
> some cold weather below zero and wind chills in the 30 and 40 below range.
> > When I arrived I moved the piano out from the wall, it's one of those
> one piece top and music desc jobs with the fixed music rack and started
> checking things. It sounded like a loose rib or bridge rattle but there were
> no cracks in the sound board and the ribs were all tight. I removed the kick
> board and using my favorite piano tool that isn't one(a piano tool). I took
> out my nail set placed it on the bridge pin of one of the offending notes
> and tapped it to make cetain it was tight in the hole. I did the same to the
> other three( it was a wound 2 string unison) I played it and the rattle was
> gone! I moved on to the others and did the same and the problem was solved.

I'm afraid not Marcel, she is a single teacher still living at home with her
parents. Both parents and her sister, a college student were home when I did
the install late one evening about 5:30. It was my first thought as well but
I checked and the rod and humidistat were where I left them and it was a
definete bridge rattle since it was only certain notes not all.

Mike

--
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com