Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Prof. Euphonious Thump lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 12:13:30 MST 2008

     In old woods the resins have oxidized to the
insides of the cell walls, allowing for more vacuous
cavities which, along with the diaphragmatic  aspect
of the board, color the tone. It also helps the
vibrations travel from point to point in the board
better, as old wood is therefore denser and stiffer (
i.e. transmits vibrations better than newer, softer,
vibration absorbing wood. )
     That said, a new board with nice crown , well
made, certainly is impressive:  but will develop
compression set ( which the old board has, already and
probably as much as it ever will ) and so the old
board's only real disadvantage ( besiders the fact
that it was made with hide glue, which is more
susceptible to breakdown from humidity swings than
modern glues ) is that it  has lost crown. I'm seeking
a method which remedies this, and D.L. Bullock claims
to have found it, and successfully used it, for years.

    I'm not at all interested in fighting over this.
Yes, "better" is subjective.
     So what ?

Thump