Moisture Meters?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 31 09:31:11 MST 2008

> Just so I confirm I understand the calculation, may I restate your calculation:
>
> Ron wrote, "The dimensional change rate is calculated from the same
> data as a 0.001" per 1" per MC%"
>
> Restated as:
>
> I'll say my hypothetical sample test piece measured the following pre and post oven
> drying
>
> 6" across the grain pre oven drying
> 5" across the grain post oven drying
> change in dimension, pre (minus) post oven drying =1"
> Emc before oven drying 5%
>
> 1"(dim change after oven drying)/6"(original cross grain dim) =.166" dim change
> per 1 inch of pre oven stock
>
> If it shrinks .166" with an emc change of 5%, shrinkage with an emc change of 1%
> is .166/5= .03" per 1% of emc change.
>
> Jim I

I might have said that inside out. My intent was to have the
whole gage strip change a total of 0.010" per 1%MC change, so
every thousandth of an inch on the gage would be 0.1%MC, to
make it easy enough to read that even I could do it as the
numbers on the dial corresponded directly to the MC without
needing a conversion chart. So if a 6" test strip got 0.06"
smaller with a 10% MC drop, it moved 0.001" per MC% per inch,
and to get a 0.010" per MC%, I'd need a 10" strip. A 0.066"
shrinkage of the test piece would need a 9.1" strip, etc.

The longer the test strip, the more accurate the result.

Ron N