37 steps. Or 9. Or 21. Or whatever...

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 08:28:53 MST 2008

At 08:00 PM 1/30/2008,  Roger Jolly wrote:
>Amen Israel,
>                    The magic bullet is just not there.    Today I
> started a grand regulation by adjusting the rep springs.  Darn they
> were kicking like a mule, to the point that checking in some areas
> was impossible. I also roughed in the checks.
>Ops the book tells me that is supposed to be done last.
>
>Regards Roger

Thank you Roger - an affirmation from someone of your reputation does
feel good...

I have been watching over the past few years as you and others like
you (Richard Davenport comes to mind) have been trying to break down
that "magic bullet" mentality with regard to regulation in your
classes. In my own classes and in my work with the PTG Technical
Exams I find this linear "X-steps and you are done" mentality very
firmly entrenched - and it is the single largest obstacle to people
learning how to regulate actions properly and efficiently. Maybe
tonight when I get home I might find some time to explore some of
these issues in a bit more detail. Right now I have to rush off and
regulate a Yamaha C-3 in someone's rehearsal hall, and it has to be
finished by 5:30 tonight (including tuning and voicing). That's the
real world. Just can't be done following a recipe - 37 steps or whatever...

Israel Stein