insurance

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:03:54 MST 2008

Les,Getting the PTG business insurance (or some equivalent policy) is a good
idea for all the "normal" reasons. And your prices (especially if you ever
contemplated "special discounts" for these institutions) should have this
business expense "built in" (rather than worrying that someone else may bid
lower, or a wish to be an unsung benefactor for the schools and churches in
your territory).
As long as one doesn't feel that one "needs to get involved" in the doings
of the hundreds of kids (ages 5 to 18), I think a fear of getting sued or
arrested for some offense is wildly exaggerated. Granted, that means "tuning
out" various behaviors (bullying, shouting, fighting, etc., ranging from
very slight to extreme) one witnesses. Well insured or not, it's a bad idea
to think that you're the one to intervene in a schoolyard brawl. While
expecting a security guard to accompany you through your workday is "over
the top", it would probably be a good idea for all of us to request contact
numbers for custodial personnel and even, as you say, security or whoever is
actually responsible for "disciplinary matters" involving students. Assuming
our cell phones can get a signal in that massive brick edifice.
Yeah, I'd feel irritated too initially when told "we're taking your prints".
But as long as you're not allergic to ink, and the principal and
superintendent of schools is doing it too, what's the real harm?
Just a different angle on the situation,
Patrick Draine