Stuck action

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 02:39:00 MST 2008

At 22:58 +0000 27/1/08, David Boyce wrote:

>...If I need to pull the action out on a future visit, I will have
>to file 88 little grooves!

David, depending on the construction of the piano, there's a chance
you can jack up the piano just behind the key-bottom on both sides,
take off the front legs and turn down the screws holding the
key-bottom to the cheeks etc.  You need a screwdriver that's a good
fit, a heavy hammer and a felt-covered wooden block, since the dowels
might to be quite tight.

The tuner responsible for this was probably trying to do a
school-book regulation on a piano that needs new hammers.  I last
came across this problem (though not so extreme) a few weeks ago on a
piano that had suffered a Polish rebuild and they'd fitted a
wrestplank that was too thick.  In this case I was able to file down
the drop-screws still leaving enough of the slot to work with and it
was possible to regulate the drop properly.

JD