Grand Obsession book

holly quigley hollyquigley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 01:02:25 MST 2008

Ugh - just reading the review set my teeth on edge. While I'm sure it's a
charming read, it hits a little too close to home. I've had too many
new-piano clients who are amateurs and so wrapped up in the mystique of the
new piano thing, that they lose sight of what the piano really is - a tool
with which to make music. Ours is a bizarre and complex field of work, with
so many insane variables and evolutions in technology. Sometimes "a little
knowledge" is a dangerous thing, and I seem to have this irrational fear
that more people are going to read this book and be so enchanted by the
poetry and whimsy of this magical search for perfection in an
instrument-that-has-a-soul (Guess what kids? it doesn't - the soul and music
come from the player and composer. Not the piano.), that they'll follow suit
in some form or another.

I'll probably thumb through it when I come across it in the store, but
really - she just stresses me out reading the reviews and descriptions.
-Holly Q.