Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 26 01:57:27 MST 2008

Oooooo ( to quote Alan Forsyth) :)

This is another one of those in reality totally fascinating areas for
discussion that sadly ends up nearly always in folks gnashing at each
other.  Gets into all kinds of factors that end up being significant
determinants respective to what one concludes.... like what ones
perception of musical sound is.  It struck me the other day whilst
reading some of the latest round of Soundboard posts that it is not the
world of pianists who are worst stuck in their mold of Steinway
worship.... no no no no no... They at least appreciate on some level or
another a vast huge ocean of musical sound....even from the <<piano>>
thingy.  But piano technicians however.... my gawd in wholey
hootville... what we don't <<know>> absolutely and universally.  We
routinely enforce our own perceptions of what good tone is and isn't on
pianists all the time.  For example.... how many of you reacted
negatively to that recording of the old Pleyel Stéphane Collin put up a
couple weeks back ? Perhaps some of you think an old C melody saxophone
sucks and a new Buffet R-13 B-flat clarinet is ok ? :)

Cheers
RicB

        HI   JD
          I have thoroughly heard that parade on the list for quite
        some time.  A
        position I don't share for the most part but then there are
        times it's
        warranted.  My Motto is.... If it aint't broke don't' fix
        it.....if it is then let's
        not procrastinate about it.
          Dale

    The tradition in Europe is to salvage the soundboard at all  costs.
    I think