Soundboard contruction methods/ Ravenclaw?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 25 10:53:20 MST 2008

> In the article mentioned above, I stated the crown of my boards to be
> above 25mm.  Then I discovered "the list" and met the likes of Ron N.,
> Del, Terry, Dale, the various David's, etc.  Ron was kind enough to
> spend countless hours off list discussing the different types of
> crowning methods and the conversations began with something along the
> lines of "25mm of crown,  hmmm, sounds to me like you have a whole lot
> of compression in that board!" (paraphrased version with numerous
> definitive superlatives excluded).

Actually, that was pretty close to verbatim.

> One of the results of these conversations was an awareness that
> intuition can often be flawed (paraphrased version with numerous
> definitive superlatives excluded).

Yes, numerous - expletives too.

> We placed the crowned board on the floor in a mocked up immovable frame
> encasing it.  Andy then stood on the middle of the board while I watched
> the edge closely to see if it would expand the framework. As I watched
> the edge of the board, it rolled upward and inward, away from the frame,
> proving Ron's experiment to work on an entire board.

As expected. Cool! Someone else actually cared enough to try
this. Thanks guys.

> Another result of the conversations is that the current 275 we are
> building has a hybrid board with more rib support and less compression.
> The piano is not strung yet, but the board is glued in and has more boom
> and resonance than any board I've done to date.

Encouraging so far. I hope it at least meets expectation after
stringing. I expect it will.

> Soooo, although personalities may collide and feathers may get ruffled
> from time to time, I would like to proclaim viva la list, and thanks to
> Ron and those who are willing to take the time to give freely of their
> knowledge base and skill sets both on and off list.

You're welcome Michael, and thanks for the input.
Ron N