R,C&S question

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Thu Jan 24 19:11:57 MST 2008

Ron:

> It wouldn't be necessary, but it would be there, making the
> assembly stiffer than your rib design intended, and adding an
> accelerated aging feature as the high compression loads
> crushed the panel. Avoiding that accelerated aging feature is
> one of the reasons for switching to RC&S in the first place.

Jude:

Ahh, so I can't have my cake and eat it.

Still, doesn't an RC&S panel experience similar high compression loads when it's humid out also leading to the accelerated aging. I hear what you're saying about wood, but if we're going to be consistent, why should there be accelerated aging on any type of panel if it's kept in a relatively stabile environment.

I'm just trying to get a sense of that interchange of stiffness from compression verse rib support. I guess the hybrid covers the in between range, but I think the variations might be fascinating, soundwise.