Charge more to tune a Steinway?

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed Jan 23 14:35:39 MST 2008

  Greetings,

            Does anyone else out there feel that you need more time to tune Steinways? Is it just me or what? I am thinking of charging alittle more to tune them. I have been tuning for 5 years.

  Julia Gottshall,
  Reading, PA

  I assume you want to charge more because they take longer.  If Steinways take longer, then so should any other piano with no tuning pin bushings.  And if we charge more for pianos that take longer, then we'd also have to charge more for:
  -Korean and Chinese pianos, because they need so much in the way of aligning hammers to strings and spacing unisons in order to get the hammers to hit all the strings so they can be tuned
  -Baldwins, especially newer ones, because of having to wrestle with tight tuning pins
  -brand new pianos, or those just a few years old, again because of tight tuning pins that are hard to set
  -full uprights, because one has to stand the whole time
  -any piano with loose tuning pins, because it takes extra time to set them or drive/replace them
  -certain Wurlitzer spinets, because they're so inaccessible and case parts have to be removed just to get at the tuning pins
  -any piano that takes longer because the strings don't render easily through the bridges/pressure bar/capo and you have to wrestle more to set pins.
  etc. etc.
  Do you plan on charging more for Steinways but not Boesendorfers and other high-end makes?
      --David Nereson, RPT