Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 07:45:12 MST 2008

JD
  My friend....I know you know this already but When  appropriate &
significant levels of crown exist in the soundboard  structure it becomes  a springy &
compressable diaphragm &  when  appropriate & significant amounts of
downbearing are applied on  that springy compressible structure the structure moves
more air & the range  of power,sustain & tone color are greatly enhanced.   This
is why  it's down this way in the American system
    Yes some systems work well with out much of  either and it's simply by
virtue of there mass & stiffness but by in large  most systems I'm familiar with
work more efficiently when set up with  significant amounts of crown/bearing
& we like it that way.
   When C.C. boards go flat here in the States  there are weaknesses in the
scale especially in the 6 th octave & when  really bad, the 4 octave as well.
Flat boards, in my  experience, demonstrate short choppy sustain especially in
the melody range  & the complaints begin.
 Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, Baldwin, & many many  other makers produce there
finest & most famous tone using this model  outlined above.
  I suspect that pianos are made differently for the  European palate or your
expectations of tone & power are entirely different.  Viva la difference
  Many of us on this list as you know have been  working with newer designs
to prolong tonal capabilities, soundboard longevity  & create new tonal
envelopes without the destruction of wood cells  produced by over drying panels
before the ribs are glued on. (C.C. Methods)  Apparently you all have figured that
out how to defeat that years ago so boards  never need changing in Europe or
your idea of what consitutes fine has a different definition than we have  here.
  SO  by Yankee definition & by the lack of  tone we see in a flat boards &
the improvements we can create building  new R.C. boards & R.C. & supported
boards, there is an entire world of  tone that is waiting to be discovered by the
World at large. I didn't take some  else's word for this but I've tried these
things for myself and many  of the protocols shared openly & genrously on
this list have shown to create  sounds I personally like.
Perhaps it's our climate with high  hot summer humidity in the east/midwest
that thrashes these C.C boards to an  early grave & then the 0 humidity in the
winters with the heat on.   Wood just doesn't seem to take kindly to all that
here.
  Please ....Come to Anaheim June 18 th 2008  to the  PTG National Convention
& Rebuilders Gallery & sample some of those  flavors. You won't be
disappointed & I would enjoy showing you  around.
 Respectfully Submitted
  Dale Erwin

Well, where you are you seem to replace soundboards as though  they
were sparking-plugs.  Quite why I can't  tell.  A soundboard over here
is most unlikely  to be replaced even after 100 years and most of them
are fine after 100 years if the pianos have any  worth.

JD