Cracked piano leg

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 21 20:55:59 MST 2008

Something I have repaired one several Charles Walter pianos is simply regluing a front leg.  It's hard to tell from your message whether the leg is actually cracked or just come loose from the rest of the piano.  The factory workers will sometimes use too little glue, it makes less glue to wipe off if there is no squeeze out.  All you need to do if this is the problem is first, remove the leg.  You might lean the piano against the wall, hold it up with your knee, or use a jack in the box to get the leg off.  See Paul Jansen's catalogue if you don't know about the jack in the box.  Next put plenty of your favorite wood glue on both parts of the joint.  Reassemble the leg onto the piano and clamp it there.  I like a large bar clamp for this.  Since I don't always carry one in my car, I usually schedule this repair for the next tuning date.  With the clamp on and tight , you can tune the piano and then remove the clamp and you're done.  Oh yeah, be sure to wipe off the glue squeeze out before it dries!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Northbrook, IL
North Shore Chapter