Renner pinning

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 01:45:19 MST 2008

At 15:52 -0600 20/1/08, Porritt, David wrote:

>I use lots of Renner parts and I haven't run into the sized up jack
>thing, but my best guess is that it's caused by their ill advised use of
>the graphite in their bushing cloth.  I wish they'd quit doing that!!

I'm right now having to re-centre the hammers from a 20 year-old
Schimmel upright a colleague has sent me -- graphited bushings.  I
tried Protek on one or two of them and this made them stiffer, so I
am replacing the pins with pins of the same size.  Two or three
passes with an almost smooth broach and a smear of deer tallow on the
pins is yielding very consistent results and the job will take little
over an hour.

Graphite seems to me a very bad and totally unnecessary idea, but I
was surprised to find it used on a very nice set of grand shanks I
got from Detoa last year and haven't yet used.

JD