Soundboard drydown for installation

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jan 20 15:20:53 MST 2008

Hey Jude dude
     I spoke with Udo Steingraeber  Friday night at a private party/
Reception, in Which his new & 7 ft &  7inch piano was showcased by five of the most
awesome & prodigious L.A.  First call, A list pianists & Jazz players.
BTW...Jude , he  confirmed many things you state below.
   The piano sounded awesome.  T'was  Dark, clear & singing & powerful.  No
duplex scaling behind the  bridge & each backscale length was nice & uniform as
it rested on a half  round brass bearing bar.
  I checked the residual treble bearing to be  evenly about 1 1/2 degrees.
The rear lengths were ,in my opinion,  adequate for bridge freedom.
    It's tonal pocket is very similar  to what I'm trying to achieve thru an
entirely different form of Sound board  building. In my experience any board
dried to 4 % before ribbing would show  compression rumpling a cross the panel
after stringing but none was in evidence  on this piano. It had 15 taller than
wide ribs & a nice sweeping cutoff bar  & aquite a thin panel as best as I
could tlel by peeping thru the nose bolt  holes. Udo confirms using flat ribs in
a dish of sorts  &  palced a big emphasis about crown along the bridge.  In
fact he  had never heard of checking the crown along the ribs with a String.  I
was  honestly baffled by this. Certainly a certain amount of crown is
expected across  the ribs but perhaps it was all propreitary which is as it should
be.

Whatever.  The on going lessons for me are that,  .....many things work &
some of them work really well.  What I do know  is the piano sounded truly
awesome  & personally inspiring & also.  It would only let  me play minor key stuff
at first & sounded familiar to a certain D I  once rebuilt but .....that's
another story.
  David & Tanya put on a elegant &  wonderful party for the Steingraeber crew
& friends  & he can  elaborate as he wishes.
  Dale Erwin

As for  Steingraber, they seem to be the only company that is really trying
to  preserve a dome shape to their boards. Not only do they glue a
pre-crowned  treble bridge to an unribbed board, they also custom fit the rim
all the way  round, which makes more sense than assuming a 1 degree angle on
three sides  will yield anything except more stress (not that I'm saying more
stress is  undesirable). The Germans seem to have done copious research on
stress in  soundboards as a tone-producing ingredient, according to Sauter.
There are  many texts in German which have yet to be translated into English.

The  Steingraber bass bridge is attached after the board is installed because
of  the many centemeter variations in the plate casting. The bass bridge is
therefore hallowed out at the root to allow it to flex onto the crown of the
board.

Regards,

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano  Restoration, LLC