Hammer re-facing and blow distance

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Jan 20 12:39:19 MST 2008

Yes, sorry, Terry, I didn't mean to imply a special connection between lost
motion and re-faced hammers.  I simply meant that, as you say, taking up the
lost motion can be the single most beneficial step.

Jon, I know attention to letoff and backcheck etc can help, but I'm talking
about a situation where the action operation is reasonable and funds are
limited.

Annie, yes I was really musing over various pianos I've re-faced over the
years.  The Challen I did on Saturday, I'd already  taken up the lost motion
on at a previous tuning.  The market in this area generally won't bear much
in the way of regulation costs.

One thing I find helps persuade people about re-facing is that they can SEE
what I'm talking about. I use my flashlight or whatever, to get a good
light, and show them the hammer surfaces and explain that over time the
strings cut into the felt like cheesewires, and they can see the effect for
themselves.

Then I explain using my a fist as "hammer" and three fingers as "strings"
how instead of a clean blow, the sides of the groves can "stroke" the
strings, and the bottoms of the grooves can be at different depths (if the
customer is technically-minded, I explain about phase cancellation). But the
main thing is, they can SEE the problem.

Best,

David.

"I'm curious why you separate out regulating lost motion from the rest of
regulating tasks. Just because you have filed the hammers, doesn't dictate
regulating lost motion. However, I do agree that lost motion regulation on a
long-neglected piano is often one of the most beneficial single regulating
steps".