Hammer re-facing and blow distance

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jan 20 10:44:46 MST 2008

Annie wrote:
> As part of my Maintain It! campaign, I offer my customers a package deal
> on
> refacing and basic regulation.  I shape the hammers and set the blow
> distance, lost motion, let off, and checking.  That 3-4 hour job (on an
> upright) can make a world of difference in the piano.

You're probably correct that the steps above will improve the long-neglected
piano, but I have to admit that I have a hard time getting around doing
those procedures without leveling key and setting dip (and as is so often
needed, replacing felt under the keys - oh, and how 'bout them key
bushings....).

I guess I find that I try to sell either a complete "action reconditioning"
(full regulation, including keys) or just let the thing wallow in disrepair.
Maybe I need to adjust my attitude?

Terry Farrell