Soundboard drydown for installation

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 08:45:18 MST 2008

> On the one hand one states that the edges of the panel will simply crush
> as it attempts to expand when constrained in the fashion the <<buttressed
> arch>> idea employs.

I'm just really pulling that out of you-know-where based on observations.
Spruce is very soft. When I'm building panels and clamping on edges, etc. I
readily observe how easily you can crush an edge surface with a panel clamp.

Perhaps unrelated, but none-the-less interesting and perhaps unknown to
many, is how much and how easily one can reduce the cross-grain dimension of
a thin spruce panel when clamping. I've never measured it, but I would
estimate that one could reduce the width of a meter-wide panel by 5 to 10 mm
with only finger torquing on a few clamps. Spruce is very spongy that way.

> Yet Ron reports that the panel thus constrained simply didn't take on any
> crown. These two strike me as mutually exclusive.

Hmmmm. Doesn't strike me that way. I don't see that one has anything to do
with the other. And even if one were to expect some crowning from the rim
constraint, if it didn't crown, the crushing of the panel at the edge might
be a factor causing the lack of crown.

Again, I agree with Ron - the darn thing won't crown anyway from rim
constraint.

> If the edges indeed would simply crush when subjected to such pressure ...
> then what would prevent his experiment board from crowning ?

If the edges simply crush from rim constraint, then the rim is not any
longer providing any force to the panel to promote crowning (if one were to
believe that it could).

> If the edges are strong enough to keep the panel from crowning, then it
> would seem to me that they are strong enough to help support crown if they
> were first asked to..... which of course is a different question all
> together.

Well, actually, that is what I thought you were asking. I agree, that if one
believes that rim constraint causes crown, then a panel edge that resisted
crushing would indeed be part of a crown-making system.

But I think all of that is hogwash. Either the panel supports crown (at
least for a while) in a compression crowned soundboard system, or the ribs
support crown in a rib supported system, or some combination of the two. I
think I was running at the mouth more than anything with any comment I made
about panel edges crushing and whatnot.

Terry Farrell