Two-pass tuning

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 18 08:43:10 MST 2008

Hi all -
There was some questions about pitch-raising and fine tuning in two passes over on the Verituner forum.  Some techs were writing about how long it took to get through the piano once, and couldn't fathom how to speed things up.
I recorded a pitch-raise on a practice room piano at the local university and put it up on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHLAZbKdcg
That is part 1 of 6 - I needed to split it up into under 10 minute segments.  While the tuning order is specific to the Verituner, (the inharmonicity sampling is done while tuning) maybe some of you out there could get something out of my little project.  It is quicker to use a saved tuning and start from the bottom, but the request was what to do for a "new" piano...
The piano was about 20 cents low in the middle, less in the bass and a bit more on top - normal for winter around Chicago.  I missed more than I like to in some sections - I like to have the first pass end up within a cent or two of the final tuning for a quicker, more stable second pass.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland