"Digital" pianos :was No subject

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Jan 18 04:42:58 MST 2008

Richard Brekne wrote:
> Hi Lorenzo
>
> There are no doubt many who feel like you do.
> Cheers
> RicB

Yes, there are.

>    A simple question: am I the only one who is deeply offended by the
>    terminology "digital piano".

>    I dare suggest that I am not the only Guild member (associate in my
>    case) that finds it appalling that certain well known manufacturers
>    of acoustical instruments have described their offerings of
>    electronic devices that mimic acoustical instruments as pianos.

The appellation "piano" for those objects is a vestigial transference,
just like the term "tuning hammer".

>    Let it be known, as obvious as it is, that these are NOT pianos. The
>    very companies whose acoustical  instruments  we regularly service
>    are, simply, helping to put us out of business.
>
>     LORENZO LACOVARA

My general term for those appliances is "toaster". My current term for a
certain 1904 57" Epworth is "firewood"...   A crackling fire when it's
0°F outside is music to my ears, those toasters are not.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT -

         Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Bio-powered Digitally Activated Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."