Soundboard Removal

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 21:14:03 MST 2008

My method for removing soundboards is to take a small laminate trimmer
(Porter Cable 3092 with a 3091 base to be specific) and route out a channel
through and around the inner perimeter of the soundboard.  Afterwards it's
easy to then lift up the back of the board and just pop it out without
having to lay the board on its side and take to it with a mallet.  A small
hammer does the rest of the job easily breaking away the remaining panel
that's attached to the inner rim.  I can remove the board this way cleanly
in about 5-10 minutes.

The only issue is the bit itself.  I'm wondering what type of bit would be
most appropriate for cutting through the panel and would not grab as the
laminate trimmer tends to do sometimes.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com