Soundboard installation with hide glue

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Jan 17 09:18:43 MST 2008

Hi all.

Just wanted to give the update of my alas bad experience with my overdried board.

It showed a nice even crown at 40 % relative humidity when I got it from Ciresa (I don’t have their technical data yet, but probably tomorrow).

When dried in a room with 36 ° Celsius and 20 % relative humidity for one day, the board went flat and even in some parts showing reverse crown.

So I stopped the drying, obviously too enthusiastic.

What bothers me now is that the board is now in a 40 % relative humidity environment at 22 ° Celsius, but it doesn’t come back to normal shape, after 24 hours.  This sounds strange to me.  It is still reverse crowned.  Could it be that something irreversible has happened ?  I can’t believe that 36 ° Celsius is enough to soften the glue joints between ribs and board.

Is there anything I can do to save this poor board ?  Should I wait a few more days, see what happens ?

Best (and constricted) regards.

Stéphane Collin.