Soundboard installation with hide glue

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 12:43:35 MST 2008

Well, cold hide glue is an "other glue" and will clean up just as well as
hot hide glue, and as David points out has a longer working time, is easier
to work with, does't require temperature control of surfaces or
environments, and dries just as hard.

Some folks suggest that Titebond-type glue joints are nearly as easy to
clean up after dissasembly. I don't agree - I find cleanup more difficult -
I think we have some common ground there, and there are many places I won't
use Titebond - like on key bushings. However, key bushings are replace far
more frequently replaced than soundboards. And if one is installing a
soundboard that shouldn't self-destruct within ten years, I think that one
can argue that the ease of working with Titebond (Extend) for soundboard
installation and the excellent joint it produces, balances any increase work
involved 100 years from now (or more?) when the piano might need a new
soundboard.

I used Titebond Extend on the last soundboard I installed. I might go back
to cold hide glue on the next one. I guess it will just depend on which way
the wind is blowing.....

Terry Farrell