Soundboard installation with hide glue

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed Jan 16 11:01:38 MST 2008

Hi Terry.

Thanks for chiming in.

I think I will definitely use the cold liquid hide glue.  There is only one
try for the process, other than ordering a new board if I mess up this one.

I don’t know the data you ask about the board (I promise next time, which
will be soon, I will ask this first).  The board has been made by Ciresa in
Italy, intended to be a close copy of the original, which was a 7’2”
Bechstein piano board from 1873.  They did ask me for specifications, but I
told them to do their usual standard routine (I believed that they knew
better than I, and still believe so at the time I write this).  I will ask
them how they proceeded.

>From what I see on their website, they clamp the ribs on a curved surface.
Am I right to suppose that in this case the ribs were shaped curve also ?
With the same curve as the clamping surface ?  If so, maybe they used the
standard 60 ft radius ?  As for the MC at ribbing, I don’t know, but I will
look closely at the conditions when my board is flat again.  I suppose it is
a combination of rib and compression crowning.  I’ll know more when they
answer my inquiry.  But if they indeed glued the curved ribs on a curved
surface, then the MC at gluing time would be that when my board has the same
curve as their hardware, not ?

Anyway, there is no advantage in drying more than when the board is just
flat, if I get you well.  So first I must do is bring the board back to
flat.

How long do I have to do the board fitting in the piano before it swells
again ?  I suppose that any fitting done when the board changes dimensions
again is of no value.  Or is this overkill ?  Relative humidity in my
working environment is about 40 % at this time of year and global warming
process.

Incredible how you can read tons about a subject, you only learn really when
you put your hands on it.

Best regards,

And thanks again.

Stéphane Collin.

Tell us more about the design and construction of this soundboard. Did you
build it? Who built it? MC at ribbing? Radius on ribs? Radius on clamping
cauls? Etc., etc.

Hope some of this helps.

Terry Farrell

Farrell Piano