he's NOT an engineer

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Jan 16 09:46:11 MST 2008

One day yea these many, many years ago, I was working with my airplane
mechanic brother in law on his Chrysler Slant-6 (Dodge Charger, I believe),
which would not start, in the parking lot at O'Hare Airport.  While sliding
my greasy, bloody-knuckled hands down in the very narrow space between the
valve cover on the slanted head and the fender/wheel well (which is where
all the important components were... fuel pump, distributor, coil, spark
plugs, etc.) I coined a phrase which I have used over and over and over ad
nauseum in the years ever since, "Engineers don't work on cars!"  Point
being that if an engineer even changed his/her own oil in the driveway at
home, we wouldn't have (for example) studio pianos with screw-on (four
screws!) fronts.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN