And what are you using for backcheck underfelt, please Ron ???

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 15 15:19:46 MST 2008

>      I got several thicknesses of semi firm felt to
> try from Jurgen, but if you already know which one is
> best for a 1923 Steinway  M  (  with the older, bulgy
> sort of backchecks  )  which will have Tokiwa wippens
> and shanks, and Ronsen hammers, such advice will be
> most sincerely appreciated.

Sorry, I don't have a measurement. I keep several thicknesses
and use something that's deeper than the cutout the felt goes
in, but not so deep a small spring clamp won't compress it
flush with where the Ecsaine glues on. I cut the felt very
slightly narrow of the backcheck, and glue it on first. The
Ecsaine is cut very slightly wide (looks neater when the felt
isn't slopping out the sides), and the top is glued first.
After drying, the Ecsaine is stretched and glued at the
bottom, with a spring clamp and a flat maple caul. When the
clamp comes off later, the felt springs the covering up into a
nice rounded pad. I thought I had some photos, but I don't
find any.
Ron N