Accepting credit cards

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 18:39:51 MST 2008

Greg

When I had a store in St. Louis, if it weren't for credit cards, I wouldn't have been in business as long as I did. Not only for store sales, but also for in home tuning, repairs, etc. I also had gift certificates, and many times those were put on a cc.

Now that I am self employed again in Hawaii, the first thing I did was get myself set up to accept credit cards. I'm not sure if it has increased my business, but I have had a couple of people use their credit cards to make it worth my while. In one instance, I had to leave a house before the customer got home, but called a short time later and gave me her cc for the $850 bill she owed me. I probably would have been paid, but a week or two later. In an other instance, a customer on another island wanted a string cover, and I took her cc number. Again, I could have waited for a check, but that also would have taken a week or so. I am about to start doing some work on one of the Army bases here, and they want to pay with a cc. That will be MUCH easier and faster than waiting for the government to issue a check.

So all in all, Greg, it might cost a few dollars every month, and it is a little bit of a hassle to get set up, but in the long run, I think you'll find that it will be well worth it.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of