pin termination

Anne Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Mon Jan 14 10:40:07 MST 2008

Ron wrote:

Sounded good to me. One important thing to grasp, regardless
of what we were all inaccurately taught, is that the pin is
the termination, not the cap, and the string doesn't slide up
and down the pin during normal play. The "standard" pinning
and notching setup isn't the best possible string termination
at the bridge, but it's still pretty good, and quite adequate.
It's also cheap, fast, and easy to install, all of which made
it the default method.
Ron N

Actually, we have shown in high speed photography that the string swings up and down the pin and dances on the bridge, even when you THINK it is not.   The Wapin installation changed where the dancing on the bridge happened, so did make a difference, but still did not completely immobilize the wire on top of the bridge.

Whether we can hear this significantly or not has not yet been measured, but it does indicate a slight energy transmission loss from wire into bridge.  Again, the absolute effect of that with regards to sound has yet to be scientifically studied.

There is a lot to be said for cheap, fast, and easy to install, keeping down costs and the like, particularly when we are dealing with the limitations of the human ear.

All that said, correct, Ron.  The pin is the termination.

AA