Great seminar today with David Andersen

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Jan 14 10:00:13 MST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Gary Telleen wrote:

> David, on behalf of the Phoenix Chapter I would thank you for
> taking this time out of your busy schedule and making the trip over
> to Phoenix.

The pleasure was truly all mine. For those who don't know, Gary is
the PTG chapter president there in Phoenix, and he and his team
extended a surprising invite to me last fall---to be the only
instructor in an all-day seminar that would be the Arizona state
conference; it would take place at Gary's big, beautiful shop out in
the boonies near the mountains: a captive audience; nothing to do
except listen me yap away. Mmmmm.

Better yet, Gary said I was free to make up the day and the program
as I saw fit, which turned a switch on big time for my interest.
Smart move, Gary. My description of the day is in the PDF below:

About 40 hardy souls showed up, some from as far away as Utah,
Nevada, and California. For me it was a huge success; it felt good,
the questions were great, the wisdom in the room was mind-boggling---
thousands of years of experience among the people there---
good pianos to teach on, and---the big payoff for me---an obvious
lighting of the lamp of the artisanal high end in a handful of
technicians.

I have discovered a huge, seemingly unending passion for teaching---
I'm a former professional hambone, so the performance aspect of it is
really fun---and I've rediscovered the absolute joy of giving away
whatever wisdom and experience my mentors and 30-odd years of piano
work have given me. So sweet.

Jim Coleman Sr. not only stayed for the entire day, he was actively
involved, as were Nick Gravagne, perhaps my favorite Italian hipster,
and Michael Spreeman, builder of the Ravenscroft piano---who's got
the most beautiful and best-feeling shop I've ever seen.

At a pause in my tuning portion of the day, Jim actually showed the
class a graph "proving" why my method of following the fourths and
making them the key, the anchor for my tuning, is not only
legitimate, but, in his words, "superior." Amazing. What an honor to
be able to sit and talk with him as a friend, and what a massive
personal "attaboy" for me.

I loved the format and the spine of this all-day class, and I intend
to repeat it. Chapter and conference leaders, please take note.
Call Gary Teleen, or Jim Coleman, or Nick G.,  and ask them how it
went. I'm fired up.

Hope to see you all at NEECSO or in June at Anaheim......

best,
David
davidandersenpianos.com