String termination question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 09:34:59 MST 2008

> And of course, there may be more reasons, but it seems to me this basic
> difference in string pressure on the termination points is reason enough
> to go to something like what we see in most pianos. Even the bridges
> with agraffes have similar needs & features.
>
> Ron?

Sounded good to me. One important thing to grasp, regardless
of what we were all inaccurately taught, is that the pin is
the termination, not the cap, and the string doesn't slide up
and down the pin during normal play. The "standard" pinning
and notching setup isn't the best possible string termination
at the bridge, but it's still pretty good, and quite adequate.
It's also cheap, fast, and easy to install, all of which made
it the default method.
Ron N