flange bushing

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 14:30:35 MST 2008

I have always torn cloth and not cut it, and I consider this most
important for flange bushing.  The reason is that the line of the
tear follows exactly the line of the yarns, which is impossible to
achieve by cutting, no matter what fancy equipment you use.  If for
some reason you object to "fuzzy edges" then these can be quickly
trimmed off with scissors.

If the cloth is cut along a line askew to the yarns, as the strip is
repeatedly pulled through the wood, the strip will fray, lose years
and become effectively narrower, so that consistent results cannot be
achieved.

Careful restorers also pay attention to the difference between warp and weft.

JD