custom hammers

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 10 18:56:22 MST 2008

Looks like they were cut up with a Dremmel or just touched, repeatedly, to the edge of a belt sander.

Raises a broader question: Is it ever really necessary to cut roughness into hammer tails? Don't hammers and backchecks that are in good condition and well regulated check just fine with a fairly smooth tail?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO