Loc-Tite Agraffes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 9 12:09:11 MST 2008

> In trying to sea?t new agraffes that don't tighten in the
> proper position, has anybody every tried loc-tite blue?
> How would that compare to CA? The agraffe could be turned
> to the correct position then simply "locked" down with an
> adhesive of this nature that would still allow for future
> removal? This seems like it would be better than worrying
> with shims that may make the agraffe sit too high and thus
> loose downbearing.
>
> I haven't had much experience with loc-tite so I'm not sure
> how strong of a bond it creates.
>
> Bob Hull

Whoa Bob! Concept alert!!! You're making it way too tough.
Forget shims unless you want to change the agraffe height.
Start with maybe 10% more agraffes than you need for the job.
Spin one in, and see if it snugs up around 45° short of where
you need it. You'll develop your own tolerance for this after
doing a set or two. If it doesn't line up where you want it,
spin it out and back in the next available hole. When you find
a home for that one, grab the next agraffe off the pile and
start at the first available hole doing the same routine.
You'll find that there's usually an agraffe for every hole
that fits within your tolerance, without modifying or adding
*anything*. Make a tool to quickly spin the things in and out,
and you'll find you can replace a set in well under an hour
with minimal angst. That's my tool below. Actually, it's
pictured with the wrong handle. The right handle lines up with
the slot so I can tell the agraffe position without removing
the tool and looking.

Ron N