Mikhail Pletnev

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 8 16:49:30 MST 2008

I doubt seriously I will be meeting the Mæstro any time soon :)... this
is another situation where somebody heard about something the Mæstro
does to make the touch artificially lighter.  One response I got on CAUT
makes kind of sense and is a real possibility.  A 1-2 mm thick felt
piece is temporarily inserted under the keys on the key rest felt.
Essentially simply takes care of the first 1mm or so of key dip.
Stopping and thinking about this... you move the jack angle slightly
in... perhaps a tad lowering of the starting ratio there... you shorten
the key dip and blow... which could by some pianists feasibly be
experienced as a lightening of touchweight...

We are not after a quiter sound per se... as in the una corda
suggestions here... tho I get where you two are coming from... nice
thinking really.  More a combination of an overall sensation of a
lighter touch... lighter response picture.... as in kind of simulating
older piano touch styles.

Another idea,... probably less likely as an answer to what the Mæstro
does... is running 0.3 mm thick shimming paper stripes just back of the
balance rail pins.  This would definitely lighten the touchweight
because the ratio will be lowered. Still... tho its quick and dirty...
and easily reversable... I gotta wonder if a pianist would lift the top
action, remove all the keys.. and insert these strips.  Besides they
arent felt and thats reportedly what he uses.

Thanks for the good thoughts.  I'm going to try the restfelt extender
idea in the next few days on a couple pianists around here to see what
they think.

Cheers
RicB

    Your comment jogs a dormant brain cell: perhaps this "strip of felt"
    adjustment is inserted at the action return block to beef up the
    felt very
    slightly, to achieve a continual slight una chorda effect. Or even
    between
    the bass cheek block & keyframe, if the "fix" is particularly quick &
    dirty.Obviously,a properly voiced instrument shouldn't require that
    kind of "hack", so I
    don't think Ric needs to worry about it (and he can certainly ask
    about it
    Maestro Pletnev when he sees him -- obviously I'm just guessing!).
    Patrick