Rebush (or elect someone else?)

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 5 18:17:03 MST 2008

Wim and all, Thanks for the response. This stuff is not the blue-green verdigris but is an olive-green powdery stuff you can actually wipe off the end of the bushing with your finger. I read, somewhere, that however Steinway treated their upright flanges, back in the teens and early twenties, it did produce "stuff" that mold can grow in. Also, the center pins are shiny and clean, no pits. So I think it is, indeed, something growing in there.

I'm going to soak them in pure methanol to kill the stuff (and maybe remove some of the lanolin and/or paraffin or whatever), let them dry, ream and repin.

And you can durn well bet I'll just try a few samples, first. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Anybody need 10 lbs of Pb?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO