glue for bushings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jan 5 12:31:50 MST 2008

>      I ran some tests with this stuff, Ron, and found
> it no more or less reversible than the hide glue (
> soaking with pipe cleaners dunked in water, and
> stuffed into mortises ) but it dries harder ( less
> gummy ) than regular PVA, or Aileen's tacky Glue (
> thick PVC-E ) which made me figger it would swell
> less, with humidity changes.

What "stuff" is that, what is "regular" PVA, and swell less
than what with humidity changes?

>     It also "fills gaps", a bit, so would help make up
> for splintered mortise innards, and is so thick that
> I'd doubt it would permeate bushing cloth, much, yet
> seems to hold quite well, when dry.

Are you talking about the thick wood molding PVA?

>     And it stinks less, and probably carries zero
> chance of prion disease transfer which ( because I'm
> not a "Real Man", I guess ) also appeals to me.

You're on your own here. I don't want any part of any of these
neuroses.

>     Run your own tests, and refute these claims, if
> you wish, please.
>      Thump

I don't wish, thanks. I've been quite happy with hot hide glue
for many years, and if I should eat an infected batch and come
down with mad shop rat disease, I'll just go into politics.
Last week, I tried to strip a badly installed set of bushings
out of a previously "rebuilt" Steinway L. The glue looked to
me like the thick PVA. It was milky white and hard. The
bushings steamed out, but took varying amounts of chewed up
wood with them, which hide glue typically does not. The
original mortises ended up so erratic in width, taper, and
texture that I've made and installed a set of buttons and
front mortises to get back to an acceptable bushing job.

Slay your own dragons any way you like.
Ron N