Balance Rail Bushings

David and Jean Weiss djweiss at ntelos.net
Fri Jan 4 06:10:41 MST 2008

Currently I use the Spurlock system but a fellow tech once loaned me his
Bushmaster.  I did one half of a keyboard with the Spurlock system and the
other half with the Bushmaster system.  I timed both halves and the
Bushmaster was slightly faster, about 3 minutes for half a rail.  What I
didn't like was that I wasn't able to be sure how much glue I had in the key
mortise.  With the Spurlock system the glue is applied to the cloth in full
view.  With the Bushmaster, the glue is put into the mortise and its hard to
see how much glue is in there.  At the end I decided to stick with the
Spurlock system, because I'm willing to sacrifice perfect uniformity of
depth for perfect uniformity of glue.  Then again, maybe I didn't have a
good enough method of applying glue to the mortise.

David Weiss