seeking clarity, was relevance of bridge pin spacing

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Wed Jan 2 23:33:38 MST 2008

> Hi Gene
>
> Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying now.  You use the
> sideways spaceing to fudge the placement of the bridge pin sets upwards
> (or downwards) on the long bridge to facilitate your spec'd speaking
> length. Then you adjust front / back pin distance as needed to avoid any
> interference between neighboring sets.. yes?

Yes

This is why you raised the
> point about hitch pin placement as well I suppose... because if that isnt
> a given you get further degrees of freedom I suppose ?
In relation to Ron and Frank using spread sheet - yes. My problem was the
verticle hitch pins that I installed, (a conversion) their larger than
original diameter and possible errors in alignment are potential problems
with unison spacing and string angles.

> Two questions also come to mind from the discussion... Ron O mentioned a
> spread sheet capable of figuring all this out. That of course immediately
> caused my left temple to itch a bit...  Wouldnt that require the length
> the center line of the bridge has to the front termination and the overall
> length of the bridge itself ?  Along with maximum / minimum sideways
> spacing possibilities I suppose I can see a dim tunnel of light here.
I am not certain if the spread sheet is used for more than varing the bridge
pin offset. Again, the question of building a new bridge or fixing an
existing one comes to mind.

Aslo.. how within how many mm does one expect to be
> able to actually conform perfectly to a spec'd speaking length at
> different parts of the scale ?
I suppose that if a new bridge is part of the work it could be a very close
tolerence.
On my piano the bridge is in the original position with new cap - by my
observations of the original cap it appears that I can get the scale
speaking lengths exact down to note 58 - beyond that the shape of the bridge
will not allow these adjustments. However, I have no idea if it will all
work out this way - after I do the initial layout I will find out. My desire
is not to compromise the speaking lengths.

> One other thing... I hear  of three row spacings of 16,  18 mm, 20 mm.
> The only premade tool I've seen as a punch for this was from Jahn and came
> at 15 mm. Where do you get these or are they something you just make
> yourself ?

I am busy trying to make my own from clear plexiglass using Ron Nossman's
data. I have seen them used in a local rebuilding shop but making them
accurately is a bit of a task. I get the feeling that making one for each of
these lengths as well as 3 or 4 bridge pin sizes and several wire diameters
will be a good investment of my time.
Some of the spacing on the original bridge are 24mm but my intent is not to
exceed 20mm.

Gene