Weber upright from 1884.

Martin Wisenbaker mbjwisenbaker at juno.com
Wed Jan 2 20:06:01 MST 2008

Mike:

I do pitch raising in much the same procedure that you use being sure the
customer understands the situation before I do anything. I think
explaining to the customer thoroughly is very important to being able to
schedule subsequent tunings successfully.

On the Weber, just pulling it up to A-435 and having 3 strings to break
tends to say the strings may have reached the end of their tinsel
strength in this case. I had the same situation with a Steinway model K
from the same era, the 1880's, where even non rusty strings kept
breaking. I suggested to the lady that it should be re strung. She said,
"Do it". I did it and it is today holding a very stable, A-440 tuning.

I have pitch raised and fine tuned many old uprights, birdcages and
square grands with a minimum string breakage. But there  comes a time
when an oldie should  be restrung. I believe the owners are willing to
have it done. Since my wife died over 6 years ago I have retired from
major shop work so I have recommended another technician to them for the
restringing.

Martin Wisenbaker, RPT
Houston, Texas