Weber upright from 1884.

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed Jan 2 17:15:09 MST 2008

It's hard to answer a question like this without adequate information. I, for
one, would not be willing to take a chance on answering it without some
knowledge of the stringing scale. One 1884 Weber grand I scaled had (original)
tensions upwards of 240 lbs through the tenor section tri-chords and upwards of
300 lbs (each) on some of the bi-chords.

I don't have any Weber upright scales handy to compare but if they scaled their
uprights as they did their grands I'd want to be some cautious about raising
anything. Even though the increase in overall tensions from A=435 to A=440 is
not all that great I'd still want to look at the scale and the plate before
doing anything radical. And, if I were restringing the piano, I'd not want to do
so without rescaling the thing.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich