Pinblock separation

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 09:57:32 MST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Fenton Murray <fmurray at cruzio.com> wrote:

>  Paul,
> You say your tuning in the treble and those notes went flat but not the
> bass, yet the crack is in the bass. Whatever, if the crack is clean and
> white like it looks it might of just happened, in anycase, that crack spells
> 'this piano can't be tuned' in my book. You can probably fix it by lowering
> the tension, closing the crack up as much as possible with clamps and
> replacing screws with through bolts and adding bolts as necessary. When
> you've got it where you want it, let it open back up and flood it with
> epoxy, then pull it shut and leave it for a day or so before raising
> tension.
> Fenton

Hi Paul,

I don't know what the noise was but I doubt that the seperation in question
is the cause of the tuning problem. I have fixed many seperations of that
type and I have never, ever, ever, lowered pitch to do so! Just clamp it,
pipe clamps NOT c-clamps as close to the screws as you can get and still
have working room. Drill through the piano for Carriage bolts to be inserted
from the back, 7/16" if there is room 3/8" grade 5 hardened if not large
washers under the head of the bolt small flat washer and lock washer under
the nut inside. Epoxy if you wish, I use Titebond yellow glue. My rule of
thumb is to bolt the entire piano, if you have a seperation in one section
it will eventually spread, you are already there with drill, clamps etc. do
the whole thing and be done with it. I'm short on time this AM if you are
going to do this I have other tips & tricks for you, just let me know.

Mike

--
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com