Pneumatic presses was RE: Emailing: P2130064

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 29 00:40:01 MST 2008

That was a Swed :)  Another Swed once conspired with a rather eccentric
but amazingly clever Norwegian violinist to contrive to build a grand
piano that would never need to be tuned. Engineers never cease to amaze
in their inability to see their perspectives are far more limited then
they believe. This was in the mid 1800's.  The violinist was sick and
tired of lousy tuned pianos on tour, and the engineer saw the chance to
make a few hundred thousand Riks Dallars .... a small fortune at the
time.  The thing was an entire fiasco of course... and upon moving it
for the first time it was totally out of tune and being constructed as
it was... totally impossible to tune it in any way at all.  It ended up
becoming a writing desk in the violinist's study. Quite ornate one as well.

I'm not sure what this says about either the Sweds or the Norwegians....
much less an American ex patriot  whoes taken on Norwegian citizenship
and carries a very heavy western drawl to his Norsk... :)  As for
getting along.... we all do fine unless we meet in some of the many bars
in the Greek holiday islands.... then things can get a bit iffy :)  Did
I tell you the one about the Norwegian, Swed, and Dane who were on their
way to the.....

Cheers
RicB

     > The only reason I asked about vertical laminated beams is that I
    like
     > the look of wood better :)...

    Ric,

    I thought you Scandinavians even used metal for soundboards.

    Oooops, I guess that guy was Swedish and I wouldn't want to confuse
    a Swede with a Norwegian, would I? Fighting words, perhaps?

    :)

    Jude