Shteinveigh Qvestion

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 27 01:17:16 MST 2008

Bench regulation on Steinway actions are ball park figure jobs... for
that matter all bench regulation jobs are.  Do what you usually do and
fine tune your regulation when you get it back.

Alternatively... you could build yourself one of them really neat action
regulation benches the Del Fandrichs brother built a long time back.
Basically it is an adjustable keybed which allows you to simulate the
bedding conditions of any piano. You just do a good bedding of the
instrument before removing it, adjust the bench to match the key frame,
and off you go.

Cheers
RicB

    When I take on a grand regulation job, I examine everything; take
    notes on how things are working, key to key; bed the frame in the
    piano; remove the action; examine the belly, trapwork, and
    lyre--adjusting as needed; take string height measurements; take the
    action home and put it on the bench; bench regulate best I can; take
    it back to the piano and fine regulate, etc.

    But (and you'll see how sophisticated we are here in the hills) I
    have never had occasion to regulate a Steinway. So .....

    Considering the bowed key frame, "accelerated action", sostenuto on
    the frame, etc., are there any changes to my steps that are
    necessary, anything special to be aware of? Any particular S&S quirks?

    Alan Barnard
    Salem, MO