Wood Specie Insert for Capstan

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Feb 26 05:02:26 MST 2008

>   I find that most plug cutters produce tapered plug

I use a 1/4" x 1" cutter to fashion the plugs.  I drill into the key almost
to the bottom and then rip the bottom on a band saw and they fall right out.

The start of the plug is slightly narrower as the bit engaged and that goes
into the capstan hole first.  I glue them in with PVC-E so there isn't a rigid
glue line to cause the bit to wander.

I can reinstall the new capstan right on the margin with no problems.
--

Regards,

Jon Page